Sunday, January 2, 2011

Tiny Furniture

 
Tiny Furniture is an independently made film directed by and starring Lena Durham about a young woman named Aura who is dealing with life after college while staying in her Mom's Tribeca loft. She's just been dumped by her long-term boyfriend and graduated from a unnamed college in Ohio with a degree in film theory.

The film has made a deep impression on me and not just because Aura's journey is much like my own (substituting the hip Tribeca loft with the not-so-hip rural Washington digs). The way that the film really stood out to me was that it didn't pass the reverse of The Bechdel Test; it had two men in it with names, but they never spoke to each other. Almost all of the primary case of characters in the film are women. I was completely struck by the lack of male presence in the film and the large amount of fully fleshed out female characters.  After getting over my initial shock I was saddened to think that I was surprised at the amount of women in one film at all.  Is it really so rare that there are large casts of women in a film?  I would sadly say "yes."  So I started thinking about how many films I could name that I've seen in the past couple of years that had more than two women in the main character cast:
  • Bridesmaids
  • The Help
  • Thor
  • Tiny Furniture
  • Burlesque
  • Black Swan
And that's it.  Can anyone else think of films with more than two women in the main character cast that have come out recently?  This list is pathetically short.


More info about Tiny Furniture is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment